The watermelon is a tropical fruit renowned for its delicious taste and thirst-quenching ability. It has been enjoyed by many all over the world and with a lot of varieties of watermelon to choose from, there is bound to be one that you would particularly enjoy.
Just like any other fruit, watermelon jam packed with loads of vitamins but this isn’t the only benefit you can enjoy from eating a slice or two of this juicy fruit.
- You can count watermelon as a fruit that is good for your heart because of its high vitamin C content. It has already been well researched that vitamin C can help prevent the arteries from hardening, improve the blood vessels’ elasticity, and lessen inflammation.
- Its beautiful reddish pink hue comes from lycopene, an antioxidant that is credited to fighting cancer as well. The watermelon, along with a healthy diet and lifestyle, can help fight certain cancers, especially cancers of the digestive system.
- It is an awesome pre and post-workout snack. Because it is juicy, it can be a great source of hydration and due to its low fiber content, it won’t hurt your tummy before you hit the gym. It also has a decent amount of potassium, a mineral that is important in muscle function. Watermelon also contains an amino acid called L-citrulline, which if consumed regularly can improve nitric acid in the blood. Nitric acid helps enhance exercise performance. As a post-workout treat, a slice of watermelon is an awesome snack to help replenish not just the water you have lost (because of all that sweating) but also it also helps in muscle recovery and healing.
- Feeling dehydrated? Grab a watermelon. There is a reason why it is called such in the first place. Adding the fruit to your daily intake of water can keep dehydration at bay. Keep in mind that about twenty percent of what we eat goes to replacing liquids we have lost during the day so supplementing your diet with watermelon is always a great choice.
- Do you have a sweet tooth? A watermelon for dessert is a healthy way to satisfy that craving. It has a much lower sugar content compared to other fruits. It also low in calories — two cups of fruit just has 90 calories in it. On a Keto diet? Small amounts of watermelon is Keto-friendly.
- Having problems in bed? Watermelon, which has L-citrulline as previously mentioned, uses this amino acid to make arginine, yet another amino acid. Arginine has an important role in blood volume as well as the direction from which it flows. It is currently being studied as a treatment for erectile dysfunction and the results are looking high. Due to this effect, watermelon is a natural viagra of some sorts.
The watermelon delivers a lot of health benefits. It is hydrating, loaded with vitamins and lycopene, and is a low calorie snack. The fruit is a great addition to any healthy diet, so make it a part of your grocery list from now on.